Look at the brief information about car importing from Canada to the US. Because the United States describes the rules and regulations for imported cars as well as cars manufactured in the US. You don’t just need to know the custom and taxes process. Clear the position and requirements about the car included, including vehicle safety standards, bumper standards, and air pollution control standards. The USA imposed these rules on local manufacturing and imported cars to make sure a safe and reliable driving system for the country. If your required imported car does not meet these requirements you need to do the different steps to allow import in the USA from Canada.
Also Checkout: 2023 KIA Forte Price Increased Without Any Change
Canada To USA Car Import Rules
For personal use or selling purposes, the USA is subject the safety standard and bumper standards to ensure smooth driving. If you do want to import a car from Canada, file the DOT-HS-7 form during the entry. This is to confirm the bumper and safety standards or not. Moreover, the original manufacturer label is required on the vehicle to ensure the vehicle fulfills the safety standard and is able to use for reselling purposes in the country. This original manufacturer label and documentation of safety standards confirm the vehicle DOT bond requirement and if it’s not attached to the car, your car will consider a nonconforming vehicle. You have to pay one and half times custom duty which is an additional expense.
In a condition, if both are missing, you will have to sign a specific contract with DOT Registered Import to subject the modifications of bumper and safety standards. A copy of this contract is required to attach with the DOT-HS-7 form. Keep all these documents and provide them to the US Customs Service with a DOT bond at the time of port entrance.
Also Checkout: How Much Does It Cost To Import A Car
Vehicle Import Steps From Canada
Follow these steps to import a car from Canada
- For a car, import makes sure the car meets all the requirements of import including safety standards and environment. You can buy a car through an online reliable company in Canada. Must ensure the Bill of Sale shows the VIN with your name to confirm you are a purchaser of the car.
- Original Manufacturer Statement or title and registration are also required with Canada imported cars.
- You will get a temporary license plate and insurance card from the purchasing Province. Your US insurance coverage can extend to cover you in Canada.
- Good and Service Taxes (GST) against the car will be paid respectively. If you are not a Canadian resident you are exempt from the Provincial Sales Tax (PST).
- Make your car exporter clean and steamed spray the car before heading. The US Agriculture Department requires completely free undercarriage cars from any foreign soil.
- Complete your documents before the car reach to port. The customs department will inspect the car once it reaches to port and checks the paperwork before clearing it as free to drive in the US state.
- Collect all the amounts to be ready to pay the custom department. Car importing cost depends on the vehicle model and year.
Also Checkout: KIA Sportage Race Car Perform in Rebelle Rally This Year
Canada imported cars are openly welcome in the United State but the condition of vehicle safety standards and other requirements are compulsory in the US for all vehicles. The United States required special attention for imported and locally manufactured cars. Vehicle safety and environmental standard are highly concerns for the US.